How To Beat Heartburn?
Many people are experiencing daily discomfort in the esophagus - heartburn. "What exactly is heartburn? Why it occurs and what to do? "- answers doctor-gastroenterologist Asiya Shubatkalieva in one of the health school activities "Active Longevity".
Heartburn - burning feeling behind the breastbone, which can radiate in the neck, shoulder, interscapulum region, can imitate heart pain. Caused by regurgitation (reflux) of gastric contents into the esophagus due to the weakness of the lower esophageal sphincter, which is located between the esophagus and stomach.
In Kazakhstan about 45% of the adult population experience heartburn. Frequent heartburn (more than 1 time per week) occurs in 18% of the population, rare heartburn (less than 1 time per week) in 22% of the population.
Heartburn - a symptom of various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), esophagitis, peptic ulcer, gastritis hyperacid.
Heartburn caused by the following factors: overweight, overeating, smoking, drinking of alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, fat foods, citrus, mint, meals in less than 2-3 hours before bedtime, tight clothing, presence of hiatal hernia.
In the treatment of heartburn, priority is given to the diet, a healthy lifestyle and drug therapy aimed at relief of symptoms and prevention of complications.
10 tips for patients with heartburn:
1. Avoid overeating, "snack" at night;
2. Broken nutrition by small portions;
3. It is advisable not to go to bed immediately after a meal; the last meal should be at least 3 - 4 hours before bedtime;
4. Give up smoking and alcohol abuse;
5. Limit following products:
strong tea, coffee, coca - cola, chocolate;
products containing peppermint and pepper;
citrus fruits, tomatoes, onion, garlic;
fried and fatty food;
the use of butter, margarine.
6. Do not wear tight belts;
7. Avoid work associated with heavy lifting more than 8 kg, forward inclination of body, and exercise associated with overexertion of the abdominal muscles;
8. If possible, gradually reduce excess body weight;
9. Can’t bear Heartburn! Even in single cases, it is necessary to take measures to avoid complications!
10. If heartburn often bothers, affecting on the cause of heartburn - proton pump inhibitor is necessary.
Center of Healthy Lifestyles Formation